Sunday 11 May 2014

Lyngen report and Chamonix conditions

I'm now back in Cham after an epic trip to Lyngen and with kit sorted and laundry done, I've finally got round to sorting through photos so here are some of my favourites.


The bare essentials!


Heading for the Tomas Couloir on an atmospheric day.


Ellensdalstinden W Couloir.


Skin up, ski down.


On top of Sultinden.


Phil adding his signature next to mine.


From a strong field, this was probably the best panoramic I got on the trip. If you click on the photo you can just about make out some reindeer on the shore in the bottom left.


Drying cod heads. The smell was even worse than I imagined it would be when I walked up to them.


Matt and Phil putting the World to rights over lunch.


My first moose spotting!


Phil on our last day.


Say no more.

 Overall I felt that Lyngen was mind blowing. It lived up to and surpassed any expectations I had and the highest praise I can give it is that I'd go back in a flash. I should admit here however that we got exceptional conditions in terms of snow and weather and just about everyone said that we had hit the best fortnight of the season. I guess the sun shines on the righteous!

I'm now back in Cham and things look pretty typical for May - not much sun, plenty of rain but some really nice quiet days when you do get out in the hills. People are still skiing up high and I might get out on the planks over the next month but I think climbing season is getting underway. I'll report on here once conditions allow me to get into the hills.